HD PENTAX-FA 31mmF1.8 Limited
An exceptional lens that delivers the sharp, high-contrast, well-defined images that faithfully depict the ambience of the scene — even to the very tips of a bare tree’s branches in winter.
This lens has a 31mm focal length, which provides a slightly broader angle of view than more conventional 35mm lenses, to expand the possibilities of wide-angle photography.
This lens inherits the proven optics of the smc PENTAX-FA 31mm F1.8AL Limited, and incorporates high-grade optical components — such as glass-molded, aspherical elements and high-refraction, low-dispersion glass elements — to deliver sharp, well-defined images of small subjects, such as the very tips of a bare, leafless tree’s branches in winter.
To further improve imaging power, it also features a newly applied HD coating to produce clear, crisp images even under demanding conditions, and a completely round-shaped diaphragm to deliver a natural, beautiful bokeh (defocus) effect from open aperture to F3.5.
While retaining the outstanding optical performance of the smc PENTAX-FA 31mm F1.8AL Limited, PENTAX has upgraded the imaging power by paying meticulous attention to the details that can’t simply be measured in numbers alone, and also by applying the SP coating to the front optical element to improve the water/grease-repellent and scratch-resistant performance for easier maintenance.
* HD stands for High Definition.
*Please apply the latest update of Digital Camera Utility 5 when you handle images taken by this lens on Digital Camera Utility 5. In case the software version is old, the name of this lens cannot be displayed correctly. Digital Utility 4 and below cannot display the name of this lens correctly.
Features / Specifications
- High-grade lens with superb image rendition and beautiful texture
- While inheriting the design concept of the Limited series, this lens was designed through a series of mechanical and numerical evaluations, as well as human assessment of test-shooting samples, to deliver an image rendition unmatched by other models.
The barrel, hood and cap are all made of high-grade aluminum, meticulously machined for an attractive appearance and beautiful texture. It also features a mount pointer with a shippoyaki (cloisonné) finish, which lets the user effortlessly and quickly mount the lens to a camera body.
- HD coating for exceptional image rendition
- This lens is treated with PENTAX-original HD coating.* Compared with conventional multi-layer coatings, this high-grade coating assures higher light transmittance and lower reflectance to deliver sharp, clear images free of flare and ghost images, even under such adverse lighting conditions as backlight. It elevates the imaging performance a further step up.
* HD stands for High Definition.
- Round-shaped diaphragm for beautiful bokeh effect
- This lens features a completely round-shaped diaphragm, which produces a natural, beautiful bokeh (defocus) effect in the images captured, while optimizing the imaging performance of the distinctive Limited-series optics contained within.
- SP coating to repel dust and protect lens surface
- Applied to the front optical element, the PENTAX-developed SP (Super Protect) coating effectively repels water and grease to keep the lens surface free of dust, water and oily substances. This coating is also highly resistant to abrasion and scratches, keeping the lens scratch-free.
- Other features
- The black model is marked with serial numbers starting with 0000001, while the silver model starts with 1000001. The lens also features an aperture ring to make best use of the range of functions featured in K-mount film-format cameras.
|HD PENTAX-FA 31mmF1.8 Limited|
Equivalent to 47.5mm in 35mm format
(when attached to PENTAX APS-C size DSLR cameras)
|Lens Construction||9 elements in 7 groups|
|Angle of View (Diagonal)||70°(when attached to PENTAX 35mm full-frame SLR cameras)
49°(when attached to PENTAX APS-C size DSLR cameras)
|Minimum Focusing Distance||0.3m (0.98ft.)|
|Diaphragm Control||Fully automatic|
|Number of Diaphragm Blades||9
Rounded diaphragm （31mm:F1.8-F3.5）
|Lens Cap||O-LW65B (included)|
|Lens Case||P70-140 (included)|
|Maximum Diameter x Length||approx. 65mm x 69mm (approx. 2.6in. x 2.7in.)|
|Humidity||85% or less (no condensation)|
|Included Accessories||Lens Cap O-LW65B, Lens Mount Cap K, Lens Case P70-140|
SP (Super Protect) Coating
Aperture: F3.5, Shutter speed: 1/250sec, Exposure compensation: -1.3EV, Focal length: 31.0mm, White balance: Auto, ISO sensitivity: 200, Finishing touch/Custom image: Bright, Captured by PENTAX K-1 Mark II
Aperture: F4.0, Shutter speed: 1/500sec, Exposure compensation: -0.7EV, Focal length: 31.0mm, White balance: Auto, ISO sensitivity: 100, Finishing touch/Custom image: Bright, Captured by PENTAX K-1 Mark II
Aperture: F11, Shutter speed: 1/250sec, Exposure compensation: 0.3EV, Focal length: 31.0mm, White balance: Auto, ISO sensitivity: 100, Finishing touch/Custom image: Bright, Captured by PENTAX K-1 Mark II